Saturday 9 April 2011

1st April 2011 - Day 7 - Ganesh Temple

Once again we opted out of the planned morning safari.  I’d read about the ancient Ganesh Temple in Ranthambore and asked if a Guide and Driver could take us there.

Sharju, our Tour Guide said he would love to take us there. He is Hindu and the opportunity to visit this very auspicious temple was special for him too.  He said he hadn’t had the chance to visit it for 15 years.

It was a long early morning hike (108 steps to be precise - that all important number of course).  Through the Ranthambore fort - magnificent views as we climbed higher and higher.

We passed ‘piles’ of stones - strategically placed along the trail to the temple.  These are lovingly created by the pilgrims heading towards the temple and represent homes for themselves and their families, hopefully in this or their next life.  We built homes for ourselves, David, Claire and Lily….

On we climbed, enjoying the views as we went until we came to the temple.  As so often the case, a simple structure.  We bought offerings for Ganesh, garlands of pink roses - one each from us, David, Claire and Lily.  We took off our shoes, covered out heads and offered our gifts to Lord Ganesh.  I cried - obviously - you know Ganesh is my favourite J

To cheer myself up I did a little shopping (what a surprise I hear you say!)  Guess what I bought - no prizes for that!

So with my bag of Ganesh statues in my hand off we set on the return journey.  I forgot to mention earlier that there were lots of monkeys - LOTS! One of them decided that my bag of Ganeshes might be a tasty snack so he jumped up and snatched it out of my hands - naughty little pick-pocket!!  Much excitement from Sharju and other gallant men, chasing away the thief and retrieving my treasured possessions.  Not hurt at all, Ganeshes (plural?) hidden in my bag we continued down hill, stopping briefly to hang a hair band on a tree which was heavily adorned with scarves, bracelets and other trinkets (we didn’t have anything much to leave) but hoping it would be enough so that Ganesh would remember us…..

And so on to Jaipur to Hotel Clarks Amer for 3 nights…..

No comments:

Post a Comment